Thursday, January 8, 2009

No Ping Pong Champs Here.

We got our ping pong table yesterday! It has been years since I've played (and it shows), but it was fun to play again. We played at least 7 games last night. Neither of us are going to be champions, or tour the world (a la Forrest Gump), but its a fun activity we can do together in the evening, better than zoning out to the tv every night. Smokey likes it too, but he likes it because he likes to grab the ball when it falls off the table, or worse over the railing and down to the first floor. We have to work with him on that.

Getting the table to the house was an adventure. We ordered it from Sam's and took the lowest level of shipping because the next level up made shipping more than the table itself. So, it came on an 18-wheeler truck and we were told that we'd be responsible for getting it into the house, etc. once it was off the truck, doable - though a bit intimidating seeing that it was listed as weighing 125 lbs. I took the morning off work since we had to schedule the delivery during the day. Turns out the truck couldn't even come into our neighborhood, our streets are too narrow or where it is wide enough there are too many turns for it to manuever through, so we drove to the front of the neighborhood and went a short distance up the exit ramp the wrong way to park behind him.

We got it out of the truck and it was too big to fit into our 4-runner, even at an angle. I'd worried about dealing with it due to the weight of it, but never thought to look at the dimensions for getting it home (of course I hadn't realized that the truck wouldn't be able to get into the neighborhood either, naive Carol). So, we needed to put it on top of our vehicle. Luckily we had a couple of tie-downs, so we got it on top of the truck and secured it as best we could by hooking both tie downs together and ran the length of it to keep it on the roof until we got home. We then drove the short distance VERY slowly. At home, we were able to get it off the vehicle without too much trouble and down on the ground and into the garage. We opened the box in the garage, and brought each of the two pieces into the house individually - much easier! We carried them upstairs and measured and put the pieces of foam on to cushion our pool table (its a conversion top to go over our existing pool table), and ta-da! we have a ping pong table. Later in the day, Kevin bought the posts, net, paddles, and balls (and also some additional tie-downs so we're better prepared) and we are ready to play!

6 comments:

  1. We had a ping pong table growing up. It was awesome. And also, even after living in a house with it for a bazillion years, I still suck at ping pong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Kristine's ping pong table.

    At our house, we had a "junior size" ping pong table. The thing was so small, it was impossible to play on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your neighborhood was too small for a truck? In Houston? Do you live downtown or something?

    My Canadian cousins had a ping pong table in their basement for years. I can still remember the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had one at my house when I was younger, but I'm still no good.

    Olivia -I clarified my entry, its an 18-wheeler truck which is why it was too big for the neighborhood, you've must've thought I lived in a teeny tiny place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a ping pong table too but it lives in our garage so it doesn't get too much use. Mike already had it when we got married so I never thought about how difficult it would be to move it. Guess that's something to consider if we ever move to a different house. The table on top of the truck and driving home slowly though reminded me of when we bought the big screen TV. Mike didn't want to pay for Best Buy to deliver and said it would fit in his car. And with lots of manuvering he was able to get it in the backseat of his convertible just barely. There was no way to put the top back up though and we drove home from the store in the cold Feb. weather with the top down, also very slowly. It was a very cold trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there, I've got a header for you...send me your email address and I will email you the file - you can tell me what you think :)

    ReplyDelete