Where do the days go? Its already almost the end of January. I can tell that the semester is back in full swing, as I get busier and busier at work. Thank goodness I started my job in a non-legislative year, so I could get up to speed on most of our responsibilities and get used to all the reports we do to the state before they move up the deadlines to have data for the legislature. I know it will be busier before it gets better, which is why I am really enjoying working on our vacation plans. Kevin and I have wanted to go to New York City for a while and so we are planning to travel there at the end of April, when the weather there is warmer and my crazy time of the semester is over. I'd ask for ideas of what to see (feel free to send them), but I think that as it is we'll be pushing to see all the things that come to mind when you think of NYC: UN, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Chinatown, Ground Zero, Central Park, Wall Street, the list goes on and on. I'm reading a guidebook, finding accomodations and know that soon I'll be wondering if we can just go now!
This weekend is the Super Bowl and we are ready. There will be a 3-D commercial for the new Monsters vs. Alien movie, so we got our glasses. They are about the cheapest glasses I've ever seen, but I guess they have to be to give away 125 million of them. We got 4 pairs and they came all connected together, basically a sheet of tough paper with plastic lens sheeting across the back of them and I had to punch and cut them apart. We'll see how good the 3-D affect is. I hadn't been to a 3-D movie in years until I went last spring and WOW has it come a long way, it was about dinosaurs and I really felt like I could reach out and touch them. I am looking forward to the game, but admit I watch it more for the commercials, I don't really care who wins between the Steelers vs. Cardinals, but will probably root for the Steelers since their QB was my fantasy football QB. Frustrating that he didn't do well enough (well, probably the rest of my team and me as the manager didn't do well enough) to get me into the playoffs but he's in the Super Bowl. Come on good commercials! I've heard that some companies changed their approach of commercials because of the economy, but others are of the thought that - you still need to laugh, really you need to laugh even more since the economy is doing so poorly, so I hope they can make me laugh. If you want to see some you missed in previous years, go here.
Where did you get your 3D glasses? I tried to find some at our Wal-Mart at the "Pepsi display" because that is where I heard that they would be. Of course they were not there. However, since it is a PepsiCo. commercial and my husband just happens to work for a branch of PepsiCo, he was able to get them at work. But, I was just wondering where you were able to get yours. Enjoy the 3D!!!
ReplyDeleteAh, New York. SO fun! When I went with my mom and sister a few summers ago, we had a great time. One hint I can offer - use the double-decker red tour buses as transportation. They go on loops through the city, and if you buy a ticket for the day you can hop on and off as much as you need to, staying on for part of the tour if you want or just getting from place to place. We didn't have to hassle with the subway at all, and only rode in a cab once (thank goodness because we nearly died!!). So anyway, my two cents. Have a great time!!!
ReplyDeleteI have a college friend that lives in NYC. I'll email here and ask if she has any "insider" tips and info on how to maximize your time while you're there. Spring is a beautiful time of year to be there. That was my favorite time of the year while I lived in PA. Somehow my Master's thesis always seemed easier to work on during the Spring. =)
ReplyDeleteWe stayed at the Roosevelt Hotel. It was beautiful, and in a great central spot. Midtown, I believe, Madison at 45th. I highly recommend it.
ReplyDeleteWhen I went ten years ago, my roommate and I stayed in a youth hostel up at 103rd and Amsterdam (picture). It was great as a poor student at the time, but it's probably a little more communal than what you're looking for.
ReplyDeleteI saw that Expedia had big deals on hotels in most of the major cities, including NY. I'm not sure if those deals run all the way out into April or not though.
I watched last year's commercials online from London, I even voted for them. My fave is still the Firestone tire commercial with the screaming squirrels! Hehe.
ReplyDeleteI hear this year the Superbowl will be a much simpler affair, obviously.
Too bad I won't be living there any more when you go!! The nice thing about NYC is lots of people I know pass through from time to time.