Sticking with our resolution, we have been trying new recipes, Some have been successful and some not as successful. A couple of weeks ago, we made baked potato soup and more recently we made a roasted pork tenderloin. The baked potato soup tasted great and (bonus!) let us use a bunch of potatoes we had at home already. The pork was ok, but we probably won’t make it again. It was good to try something different, but think I’ll stick with chicken and beef.
The weather today was colder and we didn’t have plans to be gone from home, so we decided to make another soup, and it was delicious! We based it on a couple of different recipes and used our crock pot – which let us smell it cooking away most of the afternoon. Here is the recipe we came up with:
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cans (15 oz each) diced tomatoes (including juice)
½ to 1 cup chicken broth
1 T cumin – we plan to add more next time
2 T chopped fresh cilantro leaves
4 corn tortillas, sliced into small strips
Shredded cheese
Place chicken into crock pot
Combine chilies, garlic, onion, tomatoes, and ½ cup chicken broth in a blender. Blend until smooth. [This was our own invention, Kevin’s idea, so that we could have the vegetables without the textures he doesn’t like].
Transfer mixture to large pan. Bring to a boil, add cumin and cayenne pepper.
Pour mixture over chicken in crock pot. Cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
~~enjoy it cooking away while you can do what you want or need to do~~
At about 2 ½ hours, remove chicken and use the tines of 2 forks to shred the meat. Return meat to the crock pot and continue cooking. Add remainder of chicken broth if needed [We didn’t add additional broth, and added a small amount of cornstarch to thicken the soup].
Corn tortillas – bake at 400 degrees for 8 – 10 minutes, until crisp.
Top with cheese, corn tortilla strips, cilantro (can also top with avocado, lime juice).
Hey, can you pass along the recipe of the baked potato soup? Just send me a message on Facebook. Thanks! Hope you guys enjoy the leftovers of the tortilla soup!
ReplyDeleteI too would be interested in that baked potato soup recipe.
ReplyDeleteSince you're up for trying new recipes I have a great salmon recipe. Email me if you're interested and I'll send it to you. It's a great company recipe becuase you do most of the prep the day before so you're not having to clean up your kitchen as your guests walk in the door. I also have a great (an easy) potpie recipe. It's vegetarian, but you could easily add chicken to it.
ReplyDeleteI am going to have to try this one, since the last recipe was such a hit.
ReplyDeleteMy husband is a huge fan of blending vegetables, as am I.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a great recipe.
Pork tenderloin is hard, because the pork doesn't absorb flavor very well. I've had better success with pork chops - thinner the better, and when there's a sauce to go over it.
Coincidentally, I've just eaten some tortilla soup - from Whole Foods, not homemade.
ReplyDeleteThe latter is always best, of course. I made a pretty good shredded chicken one this summer. Not a great soup lover, but if it's got all the right seasonings (esp. Mexican) then I can be induced to eat it.
Yum! I am a fan of tortilla soup!! My friend Kasey is also doing more cooking and healthier eating. She has started a food blog, here it is if you want to check it out: http://kaseyskitchen.blogspot.com/
ReplyDelete~Emily