Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Recipe 1 - Success!

Our first try at a new recipe was a success! On Sunday we made a Garlic Curry Chicken and Spinach. I am so proud of Kevin, he ate the spinach, and actually liked it :) His ongoing challenge has been to find vegetables he likes and work them into his diet, so this dish helped that goal as well as being fairly healthy. We used light coconut milk and it still tasted good. Next time we make it, we'll spice it up some more - I doubled the curry from what the recipe called for, but it could still use more curry and garlic. I'd picked this recipe up as a freebie at Wal-mart a while ago, and found it in my recipe files. We'll file this one under GOOD! I wanted to type the recipe to post it, and had the thought I wonder if its on their website, silly me, of course it is, they actually have an entire recipe section, located here.

Here is the recipe: Garlic Curry Chicken and Spinach

Hot cooked rice (optional)

2 Tbsp. olive or vegetable oil

1 Lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch wide strips

2 Cloves garlic, minced

1 Tsp. curry powder ( we doubled this and plan to use even more next time we make it)

1 Cup coconut milk (we used light, and the entire can because we like a lot of juice to pour over the rice)

4 Cups fresh spinach, cut into strips

Directions

Prepare rice, if desired.

In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking.

Add chicken; cook and stir 4 to 6 minutes or until browned.

Add garlic and curry; cook and stir 30 seconds.

Stir in coconut milk; reduce heat to medium-low.

Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until chicken is thoroughlycooked.

Add spinach; toss to mix. Cook just until spinach is wilted.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. Personally, I would probably fry everything up a bit with the chicken before pouring in the coconut milk.

    In fact, re spinach - have you ever tried frying it with olive oil, garlic, onion, and chili? I grew up eating it that way, so I love spinach, which growing up was a declaration that always got me odd looks from people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Success! I made the recipe and we loved it, we are going to try to make it spicy next time.

    ReplyDelete