Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day

September already?    It'll be a while before cooler weather comes to Houston, so we're not done with summer yet.   It may not mark the end of summer for us, but I'm still loving a 3-day weekend.
    
We've had a great weekend.  We had a 'day date' on Saturday.  We finally made time to use our museum membership (won it at LAST summer's neighborhood casino night).  I wanted to see the new paleo hall and when we got there we realized that the Titanic exhibit was there for only a few more days so we went to see that exhibit first.   We were really impressed with the exhibit.   Its hard to believe that so many of the artifacts that spend nearly 100 years on the ocean floor were so well preserved.  Coincidentally we were there on the anniversary of the ship being found - Sept 1, 1985.

So much of what I think I know about the tragedy is based on the movie, so seeing the reality was very interesting, and my historian learned some things too.  At the entrance, we were each given the information on a real person on board the Titanic and at the end were able to see if they survived or not - mine did, K's did not   I had no idea that many people (including the man that K got) were on board because a coal strike prevented their original ships from sailing.  His person had to take the Titanic to get to the US in time for his brother's wedding, only 18 years old.   They had artifacts from K's person, and the one I was surprised at was a perfume manufacturer whose perfume samples STILL SMELL.     They had an iceberg we could touch to get an idea how cold it was, and a piece of the hull that we could touch as well.   A great exhibit.

We did see the paleo hall briefly -- if you go, go to the second floor so you can look out over the entire hall.   We didn't stay long (we got hungry), but will be back soon to check it out.   I was surprised with how the wording of the displays is written, its a whole different style - more engaging, includes references to movies - then the museum display information I grew up with. It will take some getting used to for me.  I know it must be based on research and anything that gets more people to read about the dinosaurs is a win in my book!

I'd been debating whether or not to renew the membership and now I definitely will - the shorter line for members is reason enough!  They also took really good care of us, and even walked us up to the exhibit (the second floor overlook idea came from the docent).   

After leaving the museum we got some dinner and checked out a local wine bar.  It is literally down the street from my old apartment and I'd never been there before.   We wish we'd just eaten at the wine bar, we'll have to go back to sample the food.  Sonoma Wine Bar


We had a relaxed day at home yesterday.  We made fish, baked potato/sweet potato, and sauteed carrots (loosely following this recipe).

Today we are going over to a friends for a Labor Day BBQ.  Enjoy the day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment