Sunday, March 1, 2009

Door-to-door sales is not for me

We're trying to start a neighborhood watch through my HOA (homeowner's association) and need to get a sense of how many people in the neighborhood are interested in participating, so I volunteered to knock on doors to get those who are interested to sign up. I started yesterday morning, about 11:30 am, and went to 40 houses. It was disappointing how many houses I got no answer (32, and 1 answered but no parents were home) and surprised to see that 2 houses look vacant. They each had a sign warning that it had been winterized and not to turn on the utilities, and who lives without utilities? No one, I hope. I did get to meet a few people in the neighborhood and got four people to sign up as being interested in participating. So, it was successful, but I would definitely not want to do this all day, for days on end.

We made chicken tortilla soup again, a great meal since I was canvassing the neighborhood and Kevin was working in the yard. We used a full onion, added more cumin and cayenne pepper and have it now just how we like it :).

In the afternoon we selected and ordered knobs and handles for the kitchen cabinets, and will put them on once they're delivered next week. Can't wait to see how they look.

Today I am going to see a musical called "Menopause" and tomorrow i'm off to lubbock.

3 comments:

  1. Two things in Mexican food you can't have too much of: cilantro, and cumin. :)

    One summer I worked for Woodlands Online, going from business to business to get them into the free online directory. Interesting, and it helped me be more outgoing at the time, and I am sure I would do even better at it now, but again - as you say - not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love changing up recipes! I always try to make it by the book the first time, and then make small changes the next until I get it perfect.

    Door to door is not for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When a house says it's winterized like that it means that the house has been foreclosed on usually. We had two houses foreclosed on in our neighborhood and in addition to the sign they usually had some wood up on the door to prevent any from trying to get back in or breaking in or something. We thought the empty houses looked really sad, especially since they were so cute. It was great when people bought them and livened them up.

    ReplyDelete