Monday, February 23, 2009

Austin and Lubbock

I overslept this morning, so had to rush around like a crazy person to eat, shower, and get ready for work. I was able to get out of the house at almost the same time I usually do, but was not happy to start my day that way. Thankfully I'd packed my lunch the night before (leftovers are easy to pack), knowing that Monday mornings I have a tough time getting up, but never this bad! I overslept because I screwed up my alarm clock on Friday and because I was beat from going to Austin to celebrate my sister-in-law's birthday. We had a good time in Austin, but it was as quick trip - we went up there Saturday afternoon (brought Smokey), and spent the evening with my parents, brother, sis-in-law, and some of their friends, and headed back to Houston about noon on Sunday. It was fun to spend time with my whole family - my sister rode with us, and great to be there to help her celebrate her birthday. This is only the second birthday she's celebrated - they don't celebrate them in Nicaragua. Smokey loves their backyard and has plenty of space to explore and run around, unlike our small yard at home. He watched a squirrel for quite a while, sad to say he sees very few squirrels at our house since we have no trees that are bigger around than my arm.

This week I'll be getting ready to go to Lubbock for work. I'll have some free time, in the evenings, so if anyone has recommendations on things to do in Lubbock...let me know, I've never been there.

6 comments:

  1. There's only one thing to do in Lubbock... try to get out of Lubbock.

    Seriously, good luck. That town sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a quick trip!

    I can not fathom not celebrating birthdays. My husband's family only does low key, family only, mom made a cake and your favorite meal kind of birthdays. I do all out celebration, invite 40 friends, have a party kind of birthdays (well, for kids, mine's not such a big deal anymore).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Valerie took me to the edge of town (county?) where all the liquor is. Very flashy lighty and since I hadn't been to Vegas at that point, actually quite impressive. But I don't know if it would be now that I've been to Vegas, so take that for what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, for crying out loud, TMF, Lubbock is not that bad!! Of course it isn't that great either...it is an acquired taste. Much like Natty Light.

    ANYWAY, good luck with that. There really isn't too much to do, although campus is nice. The Science Spectrum museum is supposedly good, and you know there is always the Buddy Holly Center! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, after being in Lubbock for 8 years, you would think I would know what to tell you right off the top of my head. However, I am drawing a blank. So, let me think about it some and I'll get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I was thinking, "There's nothing in Lubbock."

    (Really, no birthdays in Nicaragua? Wow, my friends in El Salvador should feel pretty lucky.)

    ReplyDelete