We got home from dinner at a friends' house last night to find a mangled piece of paper in the middle of the floor. Some pieces of it were gone, but I can still read the figure I needed from it. It was a form for our taxes that I'd had Kevin print out. I don't understand why Smokey picked that one piece of paper to tear up, he had to go into the guest bedroom and onto the bed to get it, and there were piles of other papers there (w-2s, etc). I should consider myself lucky he only tore up that one piece of paper. After we went to bed, Kevin made the observation that became the title of this blog - can we tell the IRS that our dog ate our taxes? doubtful, didn't' work for teachers, sure won't work for the IRS.
Our dog lets us know, by acting out, that he's not happy we left him alone. At least he picked something he can digest. Twice before, he's eaten part of our silk plants (which we now have in the bedroom and close the door so he can't get to) and then puked it up all night - a long, bad night for all of us. The first time he did that, I thought it was new (real) plants we'd just planted and was so scared that I had poisoned my dog, until we realized how green it was and that it wasn't a real plant, still not fun but at least we hadn't unknowingly gotten a poisonous plant.
Every time we consider leaving our dogs loose in the house, I have to mentally walk through the house and think of any small items that Fiona may find. We have lost many a lego and a small Buzz Lightyear to that dog!
ReplyDeleteOf course, if you owe money, I would totally try the dog excuse, but if you're getting money back? That a whole different situation.
I'm sure the IRS will just be like, Ohhh NO PROBLEM!! :)
ReplyDeleteApollo went through a stage of chewing on things (TV remote, shoes, the wall) when we'd leave him alone. He usually left the papers alone though as long as they were on the couch. That all changed the day I came home and found that he had pulled several student papers off the couch and chewed on them. Fortunately they were already graded, but still... Imagine the professor having to tell the student "I'm sorry but the dog ate your paper. Here's what's left." Now we just make sure nothing is within his reach when we leave.
ReplyDeleteUgh!
ReplyDeleteWhen we had a dog, my mother would put him into an enclosure in the front hall. While were were out, being an English Springer, he would "spring out" and explore the house.
We spotted him one day watching us park on the street from his vantage point at the hall landing window.
By the time we got into the house, he was back in his bed, doing the big innocent eyes routine. Ha!
thankfully, our dog doesn't chew on anything. She'll steal one of Miss T's stuffed animals from time to time but that's it. We crate her during the day, but sometimes we forget and find her on the couch when we return. She's too lazy for anything beyond that!!
ReplyDelete