Friday, March 6, 2009

back from Lubbock YIPPEE

I am back in Houston after my conference in Lubbock. and, as several people told me I was glad to leave town. My conference went well - I learned quite a bit and got some ideas for projects I'm working on, and (even better) met contacts that I can go to with questions and get resources from them on projects similar to ones I'm working on.

I was pretty busy with the conference, but did get to visit the Buddy Holly Center, especially appropriate since the 50th anniversary of the plane crash was last month. So, that day I had his song and others running through my head all day. I had no idea he influenced so many musicians (including the Beatles and the Rolling Stones).

Lubbock is small, the airport is north of town but it only took ~15 minutes to get to our hotel on the south side of the loop. Looking on the map, I thought the loop was going to be like Houston's 610 loop but its much smaller. Living in Houston for so long, it is unreal to realize how close together everything can be! and the lack of traffic was awesome, especially since i was driving a rental car that I'm not too familiar with (PT Cruiser) - bright blue, so it was easy to find!

This conferences feeds you all the time, so I'm pretty sure I gained 5 lbs on the trip, but will get back into working out and not eating as often or as much (seriously, they have dessert at every non-breakfast AND cookies at break time).

Today I've been busy trying to get caught up, and am so glad its Friday :) I still feel tired from the week, and kinda icky (I always feel blah after a plane ride). Being an introvert, its draining (but good for me) to spend all day, several days around lots of people, and talking about our projects and work in general...was so glad to get home and just see my hubby and my dog last night. Kevin even made me a 'welcome home' sign that he put onto the back door...awww

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you're an introvert too? Yes, it is good and stimulating to be around people, to push your boundaries. But then it's equally good to go home and recharge afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that he made you a Welcome Home sign! So cute.

    ReplyDelete