Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Celebrations

Today and tomorrow are the last two work days of the year for me and Kevin, so I am fairly sure that they'll be spent mostly watching the clock until we're on vacation. I could've taken the days off, but since Kevin has to use a week's vacation to have the same days off that I do thought it best to save the rest of my days to be able to go somewhere on 2009, we used just about all of our vacation days for the two trips we took this year.

We will celebrate Christmas with my side of the family, but aside from that plan to stay in town and just take care of stuff around the house. I'm looking forward to the time off, and in addition to our projects, plan to sleep in (if Smokey lets me), read, work out, see friends, meet up with friends, and just enjoy having some down time. One project I must get done is to go through the stuff in the attic, we can't put the new Christmas tree away until I do.

We celebrated Christmas with Kevin's side of the family this weekend, with all of the family on Saturday and with the immediate family yesterday. Both celebrations were a lot of fun. I love watching the kids open their gifts, especially now that he's old enough to really start to get into it. Kaden's unwrapping of gifts used to be tear off one piece, set it aside, repeat and he'd get tired before he finished unwrapping the gifts. This year he unwrapped them all himself and was excited to get to play with them. I'm excited about my white elephant gift, a panini maker and at the store yesterday I bought some bread, ham, cheese and tomatos to try it out this week.

Yesterday, at Kevin's parents house we exchanged gifts. This is Kaden's first year to really know who Santa is and be excited about gifts, so we were really looking forward to seeing him open his gifts, especially the train table. We opened gifts and then he was taken into another room to play with some of his new toys while my father-in-law and brother-in-law set out the train table and rang the doorbell. We told him that Santa's elf had dropped it off early so it wouldn't have to go in the sleigh, but instead of being excited about the train table he was sad he'd missed Santa. He got over the disappointment and played with the table most of the afternoon (including blowing it up with the toy tank we'd given him), but that was a reaction we weren't expecting. Kids will always surprise you, that's what I've learned.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, poor Kaden, I hope you told him Santa wasn't there, it was just one of his elves.

    I'm not sure Landon really gets it this year, I guess we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the letter said Santa's elf dropped it off, but I think all he heard was SANTA

    ReplyDelete