Saturday, October 25, 2008

Kitchen misadventures

Other people have cooking blogs, I'd like to have one but I'm afraid my kitchen misadventures are often more memorable then my cooking successes. On Friday, I was going to make a roasted chicken for dinner, it takes longer to make then most of our week night dinners, but since I took the day off I could do it. So I prepped the chicken - took out the 'giblets' and rinsed it out, chopped up garlic, and put garlic/rosemary/lemon juice combo between the chicken meat and the skin, and put half a lemon inside the chicken. We've made it once before and it was so good, so I was excited to make something good (and healthy) for me and my hubby. I put it in the oven. Over an hour later I went to see how it was doing, and the oven wasn't on! Turns out when I was trying to set the timer on the oven and mistyped in how long I wanted and hit cancel on the timer I'd actually hit cancel on the oven, so the oven turned OFF, and the chicken had in fact been sitting there in a cooling off and then cold oven. I was so mad at myself! This is beyond blonde moment, I feel truly dumb when I do something like that...why didn't I notice that it wasn't hot or just make sure the red light was still on after having problems with the timer??


At that point we were too hungry to wait (and not sure that it was safe to eat since it had sat at room temperature for over an hour), so instead of my yummy chicken, we had a last minute change to pizza :(. I'll try again next weekend and we have yet another inside joke, remember the chicken will be talked about for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment