Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Conference success




The conference went really well!    It was a busy few days in Galveston and a busy few weeks leading up to it.   We had about 200 people attend and many of them told us they had a great time.  It wasn’t all work; we had some fun and took advantage of being there over Mardi Gras.  Our special event for the conference was attending the parade and a great seafood meal at fisherman’s wharf.  We had a great time watching the parade and caught a ton of beads!    They even got a special hat for me as the organization president.

I know I talk about how much work putting on the conference is, what i haven't talked about is how rewarding it can be.   I have gotten to know a group of individuals in my line of work and I get to give back to the organization that has taught me so much.   I’ve been attending since 2004 and in 2009 I decided I wanted to get involved and took a minor role in conference planning.  That 'behind the scenes' look gave me a new appreciation for the work that went into the conferences I’d attended and gotten so much out of. I helped again the next year and was surprised to be nominated as Vice President/President elect.  I was elected and the rest, is history..

I was very glad I was able to spend Valentine’s day at home with Kevin, and he surprised me when I got home from the conference with a card and chocolates. He really knows me and got a box that was ALL caramel-filled chocolates, no icky nougat or coconut!   We had a great valentine’s day, and a wonderful weekend – spent much of it outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment