We’ve have a great break.
We both had the whole week off and just took it easy and spent a lot of
time together. As part of our break we
took a quick trip to Galveston. The primary
reason for the trip was to do a Segway tour we’d purchased a while back. K had
mentioned he wanted to ride them (neither of us had) and so when living social
had a deal it was an easy decision to buy them.
We drove down in the morning and had time to do a little shopping
before the tour. We had a pretty large
group (12 people) and it was intimidating at first – we watched a video that kept
showing how easy it would be to tumble off and hit your head, and we’d signed a
waiver that we knew the risks and saw the prices we’d have to pay if we damaged
them. After that we each had to get on,
with everyone watching, and learn to ride it.
It was strange at first, but you really do get the hang of it after a
few minutes - it’s all about how you
lean your weight (after you accept that this thing really can hold you up with 2 wheels) . After we practiced in
the parking lot we all got the hang of it and we were off! The weather was cold and very windy, so we
didn’t go on the seawall as the tour said we would, but instead we went through
the neighborhood, which was better I think – we were able to see a lot
of houses and scenery and we had no worries about driving off the edge! Although it was called a tour it was really
mostly just the experience of riding the Segways, just what we wanted! We really did zip along on them. I am glad we did a short tour as my feet and
lower legs were hurting by the end of it, and we should’ve worn gloves. I also should've thought to zip up my jacket BEFORE getting on, once I was on I couldn't figure a way to stay on and zip it, so unzipped I rode. We’ll do it again, and I think we’d be ready
for a true tour that many cities offer.
That afternoon we were able to meet up with a childhood
friend of K’s that he hadn’t seen in about 20 years. They’d reconnected on facebook and he and his
wife came down to meet us. It was a
great afternoon with them and we hope to meet up with them again soon.
We spent the night at the Hotel Galvez and before heading back home the next day we went to Seawolf
Park, surprisingly it was my idea and not my historian’s idea to go there. We were able to tour a WW II submarine and
destroyer. The submarine especially gave me a greater appreciation for those who served on them, they truly are tight spaces.
As a bonus, I get to play a lot with my new camera - I'm still learning how to use it and what the various settings do.
As a bonus, I get to play a lot with my new camera - I'm still learning how to use it and what the various settings do.
No comments:
Post a Comment