| Our house is annoying me. The weekend before last it rained really hard and I got back from the store to be greeted with water dripping from the ceiling. We thought it was something wrong with the roof, turns out its not the roof but a pipe connecting to a vent that comes out of the roof that is leaking. It should be an easy fix but is so far back in the rafters that it is tough to get to, and its the part of the ceiling that is two-stories tall so its way up there. We were hoping to get it fixed before this week's rain but weren't able to so we spent a good part of Saturday trying to find a way to do a temporary fix. We had 2 options - put something over the vent to prevent water from getting in or put something under the bend in the pipe (in the attic) to catch the water. We looked at both options and finally decided we couldn't do either - we had the ladder out and climbed up to look at the roof but just couldn't do it. Even if I can get myself onto the roof (at the garage), I don't think I could get to the house roof -- too short, little upper body strength - and K is not good with heights so there is no way. We went to the attic and looked at that option, I thought about it and tried to balance on the rafters but way up front is a big A/C tube that I couldn't seem to get over or under and could just picture my foot (or worse, all of me) going through the attic floor - ceiling of the house. I hate to admit defeat but we realized the likelihood was that we'd make something worse, and might not only have to fix the pipe (and possibly other things) but fix one of ourselves too....so we just had to hope for the best with the rain this week and got it scheduled to get fixed later this week. They'll also have to repair the ceiling since there are water stains. While we're dealing that issue...I come home from work yesterday, and K has a lamp on the kitchen table. It turns out that one of the breakers won't stay put so most of the kitchen lights don't work, neither does the living room fan which we use all the time. It worked that morning for each of us, I know I didn't eat in the dark, but when he went to turn on the light in the kitchen for dinner it went out, and he went out to the circuit breaker but every time he flips it it flips right back.... I know these are very minor things and all part of home ownership, I just can't believe they both happened so close to one another. I wonder what other fun awaits us...really annoying part is that our house is not old at all. I do thank my lucky stars that we are able to get someone in here to fix each thing and just have to make arrangements to do so. |
Wednesday, March 21, 2012
house annoyances
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment