Sunday, May 8, 2011

Corpus Christi

Its been a busy few weeks. Work is busy and added to my regular workload I've been busy taking care of my VP duties with TAIR. The VP duties should even out for a while, but its been extra busy getting ready for the planning meeting and then doing follow-ups afterwards.

The next conference will be in Corpus Christi so we held our planning meeting there, to be able to see the hotel facilities. It was my first trip to Corpus and its a great place! I didn't have much time to look around but did get to eat at two restaurants in town. I really liked Water Street, fresh seafood is the best! We walked to the Landry's for dinner and I could definitely spend more time walking on the seawall and looking at the signs. There was even a carnival up the street from us, but again no time. If you like fast food, the original Whataburger is in Corpus, I saw it but felt no need to eat there.

The only photo I took is this one with my phone. This was the view from my hotel balcony. It is the USS Lexington, which I hope to tour the next time I'm in town. I found out afterward that this is the ship that Jill's grandfather served on it in WWII! Kevin and I have toured an aircraft carrier in San Diego and were amazed at the small place they slept in for months at a time. I'll be back in February for the conference and have already mentioned the city as a vacation spot for the two of us, its not a bad drive from our house and would be a great weekend get-away.

2 comments:

  1. We asked him to go there with us and show it to us, but he wouldn't go - he said when he left he swore he'd never look at it again. I never made it down there on my own to see it, I really wish I had. We've toured the Intrepid in NYC and the Yorktown in Charleston...I never get over the workings of those ships and the quarters. Always amazes me. Dad did say if they ever retire the Enterprise that he'll show me around that one - he was on during Vietnam. I can't wait to hear about it when you do get to visit the Lex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when they were campaigning to get the Lexington to Corpus they even wrote a song, "Let's land the lady" or something like that, maybe we should have written a song to get a shuttle in Houston. What should it have been

    ReplyDelete