We had a great 4th of July. Our friends came over for brisket and we had a good time hanging out. Nearly everyone brought a dish to share so I think we ended up with more food than we started with! For all the rain we had Friday and Saturday, it was a beautiful day - great for all the BBQs and fireworks displays.
It is our first 4th in the neighborhood and I wasn't sure if I'd get to see fireworks. I should not have worried! We're not in the city, so its legal to do fireworks (even though our HOA frowns on it) and I had NO idea how much everyone got into it.
On Saturday night (July 3), we watched the neighbors across the street set off some fireworks. They reminded me of what my family set off when I was growing up - roman candles, fountains, and a few that shot off into the air. I was surprised not to see sparklers, but they did have the little white ones that you toss to the ground and they pop. Half the fun was watching the kids and their reactions and interactions, there were several families together so it was about 6 or 7 kids and there were the usual fights - its my turn, no mine - and even a girl stomping off to pout...
It turns out that night was just a taste of what we were going to see. On the 4th, after everyone had gone home from our BBQ we sat on the back patio to enjoy the evening and started to hear and see some large fireworks being set off in the neighborhood behind us. To get a better view we brought our folding chairs out to the front yard and were able to see quite a show. Families all around the neighborhoods had some really wonderful, professional quality fireworks that they'd set off all over the area. With the echos it was hard to know which way to look, there was so much to see. I would just decide on a direction to look and watch that way until I'd hear the launch of something in some other direction. We even saw some guys with what looked like saw horses (fireworks launchers?) drive by on their way along the gully and they told us to look in a specific direction. We could tell when they set theirs off...I can't even describe how beautiful they all were...I love fireworks, and the smell and the smoke made for a great evening. I don't have to worry about not seeing fireworks as long as we live here, and when we were tired of watching we could just walk inside, no having to fight traffic or anything.
A great way to end a wonderful day.
It is our first 4th in the neighborhood and I wasn't sure if I'd get to see fireworks. I should not have worried! We're not in the city, so its legal to do fireworks (even though our HOA frowns on it) and I had NO idea how much everyone got into it.
On Saturday night (July 3), we watched the neighbors across the street set off some fireworks. They reminded me of what my family set off when I was growing up - roman candles, fountains, and a few that shot off into the air. I was surprised not to see sparklers, but they did have the little white ones that you toss to the ground and they pop. Half the fun was watching the kids and their reactions and interactions, there were several families together so it was about 6 or 7 kids and there were the usual fights - its my turn, no mine - and even a girl stomping off to pout...
It turns out that night was just a taste of what we were going to see. On the 4th, after everyone had gone home from our BBQ we sat on the back patio to enjoy the evening and started to hear and see some large fireworks being set off in the neighborhood behind us. To get a better view we brought our folding chairs out to the front yard and were able to see quite a show. Families all around the neighborhoods had some really wonderful, professional quality fireworks that they'd set off all over the area. With the echos it was hard to know which way to look, there was so much to see. I would just decide on a direction to look and watch that way until I'd hear the launch of something in some other direction. We even saw some guys with what looked like saw horses (fireworks launchers?) drive by on their way along the gully and they told us to look in a specific direction. We could tell when they set theirs off...I can't even describe how beautiful they all were...I love fireworks, and the smell and the smoke made for a great evening. I don't have to worry about not seeing fireworks as long as we live here, and when we were tired of watching we could just walk inside, no having to fight traffic or anything.
A great way to end a wonderful day.
No comments:
Post a Comment