Earlier this week I had to attend a meeting at Houston Community College (HCC), so I put headed to HCC for a meeting as my status on Twitter and Facebook.
A person I went to high school with commented on my status saying, "I've spent the day reading about hepatocellular carcinoma and found your status confusing." I saw the comment and thought it was odd to make that connection, but could find an h and two cs in the phrase, so it is probably also abbreviated HCC in medical literature. I also realize that your frame of reference will lead you to read abbreviations in certain ways...my job is its own alphabet soup of abbreviations. I went on about my business and didn't think anything more of it.
My poor mother-in-law read it and some part of her thought I might have it! She even researched it and called my hubby, who was unaware of my FB status , at home. I can only imagine how confused he was.
I hope I never have a disease such as that, but if I do or for any serious news I won't break it to people via facebook/twitter/whatever social networking site I'm using by then...
I know there are much more serious dangers with social websites, but that is the most recent one I've encountered, and now that my mother-in-law knows I'm fine, it is funny in a strange way.
HAHAHA HCC is a disease - not that the actual disease is funny, but the thought of the college being a disease is funny. Now I wonder what disease BC (Brazosport College) is.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you don't have the disease. I was diagnosed with HCC in 2002 and it is brutal!
ReplyDeleteWe've had drama recently with my mother-in-law and facebook too. She doesn't quite understand how it works and got offended by some game that my husband's aunt played that left a comment on her wall. My husband spent almost an hour trying to explain it to her.... We finally decided it was easier just to have his aunt post an apology on her wall.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you don't have a serious illness!!