Saturday, September 20, 2008

Volunteering after Ike

Yesterday I volunteered through Catholic Charities to help with distributing food and water in La Marque. I got to their office at 7:30, and it took us a while to get going - but there was a great turnout of volunteers! We got down to the church and unloaded the truck by 10 am. We set it up so that people drove in a U-shape around the parking lot and got the items on the far side. Word spread quickly (based on the line of cars we had) with signs put up around the church, announcements made after they knew we were there, and some cops who stopped by to ask us what we had spread the word. I also think that word of mouth spread the news that we were there. We had food (commercial ready-to-eat meals and green beans), water, and baby food. We didn't have ice, which many people wanted, but had an entire truckload of the water, food, and baby food.

For the first hour I directed traffic to get them to come in the correct driveway and get into the line as needed. After I was relieved from doing that, I helped to load the items into cars.

We ran out of meals first and then just gave out water and baby food - as the day went on we gave larger amounts of baby food and water to those who came by since we had so much of it remaining - we even got extra water since a man came to donate a pickup truckload of water! The Catholic Charities kept track of how many people came through and how many are in their families and estimated that we helped 350 families with 1000 children!

The deacon at the church provided lunch to us, so nice of them! and we loaded the remaining water and baby food in the church hall so they can give it out to people later and loaded up to leave about 1:30, I got home about 3. I'm glad we didn't stay as late as they did the day before - they didn't get back until about 7! I don't think I'd have made it that long, I drank water and had a hat but was wiped from the few hours I was in the sun on my feet. I'm glad I could help and it makes me appreciative even more so of having power and grocery stores with food and water near me. It could easily be me that needs to get food and water donations to feed myself and my family, and these people truly are my neighbors. A woman made a comment that she's been on mission trips to other countries, and its surreal to be doing a mission trip this close to home, very true.

All of the people were very appreciative to get what we had, and I only wish we had more items to give them - beef chili, chicken cacciatore, green beans, and food is all we had, but it will help them.


We actually were able to go to a restaurant last night - Johnny Carino's - it was SO good. I don't think I've ever been that excited to go to a restaurant. Driving around afterwards many stores close early or aren't even open yet. I'm actually surprised so many restaurants have re-opened, they have to have the staffing to do so and have gotten new shipments of food to have something to cook and serve. It was nice to go out, and Kaden ate all his spaghetti and even got ice cream!

2 comments:

  1. I really miss being able to just up and volunteer like that! Now it requires finding a babysitter.

    ReplyDelete