Saturday, September 13, 2008

After Hurricane Ike

Kevin and I are safe after the hurricane. It was a very long night. We lost power about 10:30, and were able to sleep a few hours before being woken up by the wind and rain (about 3:30 am). The wind was vicious, howling and just very loud and with lots of rain. I actually hunkered down in the hallway for part of the night to be away from the windows and the noise of our bedroom. Since its an interior hallway it was quieter there. Smokey ended up under our bed at one point, and we tried moving to the living room to get some sleep but without much luck. We also saw a very bright flash twice during the night, still not sure what it was. While I was in bed I reached up and felt the wall behind my head and could feel it flexing with the wind. It was very scary.

We spent much of the night just listening to the wind, and occasionally looking out the window to see how things were holding up. Most of the morning was still very heavy winds.

We lit candles and had our radio on most of the day to find out what had happened and where the storm was. With cellphones we were able to text friends to let them know we're ok and find out how they are, but service is very spotty (overloaded and with broken coverage I'm sure).

We haven't been able to get hold of Kevin's parents, and my parents are still in Nicaragua. I just checked and their flight for tomorrow is cancelled. We will keep trying to get hold of his parents. I haven't seen any coverage of my parents' area, but I know that they have large oak trees all around their house and its a very low-lying area and closer to the coast. I have no idea what they'll be going back to. We think K's grandpa's house may be underwater but he is safe in Dallas, and the rest of his family in other parts of the Gulf Coast are all accounted for and fine.

My sister is fine too, I was able to speak to her today.

We are very fortunate. We had only very minor (and easily repaired damage) to our fence and a tree. This afternoon, we rode our bikes around the neighborhood and saw a lot of fences and trees blown over, and some siding and roof damage. We are actually lucky that we have no significant trees around us. The bayou near us is pretty high but within its banks. We were also able to prevent water from coming in around the door by putting duct tape up around all 4-sides.

We got power back about 3:30 pm, much better than the 2-4 weeks they'd told us it could take! The water pressure is still very low, but by and large we are back to normal.

I know that not everyone was as fortunate as we were, that there was a lot of damage from the storm and my thoughts and prayers are with everyone who went through this storm with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment