I saw that phrase on a picture on the news, related to Hurricane Ike. Someone had written it on the boards they'd used to board up their windows.
We got back from Nicaragua on Saturday. I plan to write about our trip (and post pictures!), but haven't had time yet. I spent most of the weekend getting caught up with all the stuff I needed to before heading back to work on Monday. Work is getting busier too since we're getting into the fall reporting crazy time.
We started watching Hurricane Ike while in Nicaragua and are keeping a close eye on it since it is headed towards the Texas coast. It is expected to make landfall early Saturday morning and could be a bad storm. We've got supplies and will just ride it out here at home. Its scary watching them showing a storm predicted to hit pretty close to my parents' house.
I feel better now, I was finally able to get hold of my brother - my parents, brother, and his wife are still in Nicaragua are scheduled to come back on Sunday. I'd sent a couple of emails about Ike and haven't heard from them at all. I felt like Chicken Little and a flip-flopper -- its coming towards us, no maybe Corpus, oh no us again. I tried calling them yesterday without success. Tonight I was successful. Luckily they are staying at the same hotel we stayed at, so I knew the hotel's name to find their phone number online. I wanted to make sure they are aware of it. There isn't anything they can do from there, but being aware of it they can be informed and make a decision if they need to adjust their travel plans. As of now they still plan to come back on Sunday, but they are well aware of it. Something funny - one of the first news stations they found to watch is a Florida station, so all their newscast would say is that Ike is headed away from them and nothing more, leaving my parents to be like -- where is it going??
EDIT (addition): I saw last night that all of Brazoria county is under a mandatory evacuation! Hard to believe, coastal areas makes sense but just a few miles away from me is Pearland, and its included too. The university where I work is still open, so I'll be on the road with them I'm afraid.
(addition 9/12): Kevin told me that later they exempted Pearland from the mandatory evacuation, makes more sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment