Monday, August 4, 2008

preparing for TS Edouard

This weekend a tropical storm formed south of Louisiana - Tropical Storm Edouard (a strange way to spell it, but oh well - I have to copy/paste it to spell it right). It looks like it'll make landfall near us tomorrow morning, so we are currently preparing for it. We've already brought the umbrella into the garage (the wind yesterday flipped it on its side since the base is broken), I brought the front porch stuff inside this morning, and we will bring in the rest of the outdoor furniture tonight. We have plenty of food, water, and batteries. All our clothes and dishes are washed, the trash all went out this morning, so we'll just stay put at home, in the window-less bathroom if needed. Prediction: Smokey will want to go outside no matter what the weather.

I already do not plan to be at work tomorrow, I want to abide by the: if you don't have to be on the road - don't advice the emergency preparedness people state, and really don't want to be downtown in the midst of it. I did see that the school's emergency team is meeting now and should have some further information later this morning. Hopefully they've gotten better at informing everyone then UST was when I first worked there - they didn't always let the whole campus know when they'd decide to close!

A lot of people woke up this morning surprised that the storm was there, but we've been watching it since Saturday when they said planes were going to fly through to see what was going on. Lucky for me I have a news junkie husband who has a special love for the weather - in another life he would've been a meteorologist. So we watch the news, especially the weather (and the sports) a LOT, good thing though otherwise I wouldn't know a lot of what is going on around town, and even now sometimes I ask him what is going on in the news since he keeps up with it all much better than I do.

To everyone else preparing for it - be safe :)

my planned blog this morning had been called It starts. The hall of fame football game was last night (Washington vs Indianapolis), and next weekend the Texans and the rest of the NFL start their preseason games. So, Kevin's long wait for football season is almost over. I am excited about fantasy football and getting to see some great games, but will never be anywhere near as excited about it as he is. Once regular season starts, every Sunday will be football day, so my football widow-dom is about to begin. Its really not that bad, he'll even answer questions I have about the game. He's been looking forward to it since last season ended, and then had the teaser of the draft. So, GO TEXANS!

3 comments:

  1. My office is sending out emails all day about how they will be open, they will be open, they will be open. Which is fine and dandy for the 85% of the people who live within spitting distance, but I will NOT be driving 30 miles in 30 or more mph winds to get here and sit on my @$$ ass day tomorrow. I brought my laptop in today and had them put some programs on it so I can work from home if I need to. My immediate supervisor totally concurred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA - That should say all day...I tried to censor myself and look what came out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristine, I'm glad you were able to stay at home. I figure that none of my work is life or death, and so if it isn't safe to come in I should not be coming in!

    ~Carol

    ReplyDelete