Friday, July 18, 2008

Travel Preparation

We are getting ready for our trip to Nicaragua . Yesterday we went to the travel clinic to get immunizations. Kevin and I had consecutive appointments (10:30 and 11) and Laura had the one right before at 10, too funny since she made her appointment completely separately from ours. It took longer than I thought it would because we each spoke to the doctor about what to be aware of and what to look out for when we're on the trip (good information to have), and also consulted with him on what vaccines to get. Turns out we could've all had this consultation at the same time, who knew? When I made the appointments they gave us separate times, oh well.

We each got two shots - hepatitis A and tetanus (which I really needed to get a booster of anyway). We also got a pill regimen for typhoid fever (we have to take each of 4 pills every other day) and several prescriptions - one for anti-malaria medicine (take weekly starting a week starting the week before we go, 6 pills total), and preventive and if it happens diarrhea medicine. I definitely want to avoid getting that if I can! I also plan to bring over-the-counter medicine with me, those go pretty much everywhere we go. I'm glad we realized it now, it was really sort of out of the blue that I thought of it when we were at friend's house talking about our upcoming trip and I thought, shots? do we need shots? We might be ok, but I'm pretty cautious so would rather just know that I'm covered.

I've started reading a guidebook on Nicaragua too, Lonely Planet from the library. I haven't gotten very far since I try to read it at bed time (bad idea), but I'll sit down and read it, maybe this weekend. This weekend shouldn't be as busy as last weekend, though we do plan to check out the dog show! Reading about where we're going, and hearing about the planning thats gone into their wedding is getting me excited about the trip!

Last night we went to eat with my parents at the Indian place we like in Pearland, Moksha. mmm, love it! My parents actually re-arranged what day they were coming (originally Monday) so that the place would be open - they are closed on Mondays, and between about 3 and 5 most days of the week . We've forgotten that and gotten there hungry and excited to eat only to see that we came during the time they were closed, but not this time. It was very good.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had a shot in forever. And I'm pretty sure I can't go anywhere that I have to remember to take a pill weekly for 6 weeks. I just don't have the memory for that - I can't even seem to finish 10 days of antibiotics like I'm supposed to.

    How was the dog show? I heard about it on the radio, but we were too busy doing crap I didn't want to do, instead of having my relaxing free weekend.

    We should do that Indian place for Girl's Night Out (maybe in September)...It may be the only way I'll ever get to have Indian food again. It's been way over a year of me trying to convince Clint and so far - nothing.

    ReplyDelete