Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Weekend Recap

We had a full, wonderful weekend!

Although the calendar read the first weekend of February, we had a very belated Christmas with my side of the family.   We weren't able to all get together in December due to my brother and sis-in-law's ever changing work schedules (and his demanding school schedule) so we planned for this weekend and it worked well for everyone.   I love having my family over - brother and sis-in-law drove in late Friday night, and everyone else came on Saturday.

We had a wonderful time visiting, laughing and exchanging gifts -- they were all truly surprises to us since we'd asked for things so long ago -- and I even forgot what we'd bought!   We may have to remember this for Christmas 2014 -- shop so long ago that you forget and its a surprise in a whole new way!

I debated what to cook for everyone - cooking for 8 is intimidating and I didn't want to do something that would put me in the kitchen all day (I like cooking, but not that much and not when it takes away from time with family).  We tossed around the idea of going out to eat, and we improved it by getting takeout instead so we could take our time, and make it easier for my dad to hear us - he's had some hearing problems lately and cannot hear when there are multiple conversations going on.  As a family we still have to work on that, but being at home rather than a restaurant helped since there weren't other diners' conversations to compete with.

One bonus of having our Christmas in February - the menu is completely open!   If we'd had it in December I'd have felt like we needed our traditional meal (very much like Thanksgiving), but this gave us free reign!   and with getting takeout we actually got food from 2 different places (Greek and Thai) so everyone really got to get exactly what they wanted.

It was a busy day of celebrations - K popped out in the afternoon to have a birthday lunch for his brother, a ground hog day baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment