Saturday, February 22, 2014

back home

The TAIR conference went really well!   There were issues and complaints (note: don't put pork on the menu) but also lots of compliments and connections made.   I've made many great friends in working on the conferences and know I can reach out to them for any work-related questions I may have, and think I helped a few people who are newer to the profession -- funny to realize that with 12 years (when did that happen?!?!) in the field under my belt I'm an "old timer".

I was actually able to attend sessions this year (first time in 3 years) and did my officer duties.  I will very happily finish up my duties and have finished my term on the executive committee.  I'm sure I'll still be involved (already looking to help with moving our elections online), and will enjoy being a member for a while.

I also go to know my coworkers a bit better -- 5 of us drove up and back together.   I enjoyed being a rider both ways.

We arrived home on Friday evening -- 4 nights is a long way to be away, and whenever I travel for work I am glad I don't do it often.  Kevin came downtown to pick me up (he also dropped me off Monday so i didn't have to leave my car downtown all week) and surprised me when we got home - he'd gotten my car washed, it looks like a new car!  I never get my car washed but always wish that i did, he's definitely paying attention.  added bonus of my car staying home all week.

This weekend has been getting caught up on chores and spending as much time outside as we can.  it is still a little chilly but nice out.  We purchased some flag poles so that K can display flags that he has - a Texas "Come and Take it" he got as a Christmas gift and a Texans/Texas flag.    We had to purchase flag poles and so broke down for a trip to Wal Mart.  I don't understand their organization at all - we looked for the flagpoles in sporting goods, gardening, home improvement and had no luck.  Before checking out we asked a SECOND employee and she said they were in STATIONARY...flag poles and envelopes make PERFECT sense together, but they were there.....they are now installed on our back fence and look great!

No comments:

Post a Comment