Sunday, May 16, 2010

Houston Roller Derby

This month is flying by!

Last night I was finally able to check out Houston Roller Derby with my hubby and my sister. Lucky for us, my sister had heard a player being interviewed on the radio and they mentioned something about bringing chairs, so we did. I'd also put a question on my facebook to get some feedback, and heard from a ocuple of people who had been. facebook may be a timewaster but can also be a quick way to get a question answered when you don't really know who to ask.

The chairs were just what we needed! It is held at Kick's (indoor soccer field) so there are some bleachers, but to get up close you either sit in a chair you brought, sit on the floor, or stand. None of us wanted to sit on the floor or stand for several hours, so those chairs were worth their weight in, well not gold, but something more than what canvas is worth!

We got there early enough to get seats up front, and had a great time watching the bouts. Its a full contact sport, and from someone who could barely ever skate, seeing what they can do on skates is really fun to see (all were wearing old school skates, no roller blades). It was a fun atmosphere, I said later that it is sort of a sport for people who usually don't like sports. Its very unique and the people-watching is fun too. I won't claim to understand all the rules, but was glad I read a short overview of the rules so I understood the basic idea.

Kevin also had a lot of opportunity to play with his camera, trying to get some action shots of the girls. Can't wait to see how they turned out.

If you get a chance, check it out! with these recommendations:
  • figure out where the free parking is so you don't have to valet
  • get there early
  • bring chairs and cash (if you want something to drink)
  • dress comfortably and for warm weather, it gets hot in that place with all the people in there

No comments:

Post a Comment