God Bless everyone who works in the medical field....
Our Saturday evening turned out much differently than expected. We went over to Kevin's brother's house to get to see some cousins who had come in town from Kansas City, and finally meet their little boy - he is such a cutie! We had a good time visiting with them and watching all the kids play. When the evening was winding down (pretty soon after we got there since the kids were wiped out from swimming), K's brother (Keith) and cousin decided to throw the football around one more time, and Keith went to catch a pass and landed HARD on his shoulder. He had dislocated it, so we rushed off to the Urgent Care center nearby. They were open but had already locked the doors. I knocked on the doors til someone finally came and they said that we needed to go to the ER, so off we go (why were they closing early??? arg - reminds me of when I was trying to help my little sis and the first urgent care place we went to WAS closed) . We got to the ER and he was triaged and taken back immediately. Things slowed down from there since he was one of 30 beds. We tried to keep his mind off it by making him laugh and talking to him but I know he was in a lot of pain, even with pain meds. Once he got an x-ray and they knew exactly what they were dealing with (had to verify there were no fractures and what angle it had dislocated), they were able to put it back in place and then just had to keep him for observation. When he woke up from those meds he didn't believe us that they had already fixed his shoulder. Kevin and I were able to see the x-rays (and the big bump on his shoulder) and it was obvious that something was not quite right. All told we were there about 3 hours, and then he got to go home and sleep in his own bed. He'll take it easy the rest of the weekend.
His wife had stayed home with the nephew and we kept her updated, we even had a phone in the room that she could call - handy since our reception was not very good in the hospital. I have to laugh that we were taking camera-phone pictures and they were loaded to facebook today. A whole different way to share news and stories.
He half-jokingly told us he wanted us to fix his arm, just to make the pain go away. I don't think I could do it even if I had to and am so glad we have people who are trained and can help when we have something wrong with our bodies.
We were very glad we were able to help, after all that is what family is for!
Here is hoping the rest of our weekend is LESS exciting!
No comments:
Post a Comment