Monday, May 11, 2009

House Hunt

This was our busiest weekend in quite a while, and I am feeling it today.

We spent all day Saturday looking at houses with a realtor. We decided a while back that we wanted to move eventually but have been back and forth about when we want to move. This year we’ve been talking more and more about it and decided we wanted to move sooner than later, so this summer is our target. There are things we want that our current house just doesn’t have: a pool (or room for it), trees, larger guest bedroom for when we have guests, the list goes on and on. So, we want to move to a different house in a different area of town.

We had looked online at houses, but this was the first time we’ve looked in person so it was a learning experience. We saw 11 houses (7, then a break to eat, then 4 more), and ruled out most of them. Looking at them gave us a better idea of what we want and what are our must-haves. It is also interesting to see how different people’s tastes are when it comes to what they choose to have in a house and how they decorate. Some of the houses would need a TON of paint if we were to buy them, I shouldn’t say they are hideous but they are NOT my taste at all. One honestly looks like Texas is being held hostage in the house (Kevin’s phrase). We both love Texas, and have a few stars in our kitchen and on the patio but would never decorate the entire house in that all out Texas décor. Others were beautifully decorated, so much so that I’m envious of their abilities to know what colors go together well….I love watching those shows too but don’t think I have a designer bone in my body. We also walked into one with a brick floor, it looks beautiful but I wore sandals specifically so I could feel it under my bare feet, and I didn’t like it…too bumpy, and keeping it clean would be tough. I do keep in mind that much of what I see is cosmetic and could be changed, so I try to keep in mind not to let paint color sway me but look at the layout, size, shape of the rooms and the house and if it would work for me. We love watching all the house hunting shows on HGTV and it was fun to finally get to do that for ourselves. We haven’t found our house yet but are getting a better idea of what we want in our next house. Seeing how I react to other people’s houses makes me wonder what someone will think when they look at our house….

We were both so tired that night, who knew walking in and out of houses would be that tiring, and it was mentally draining too.

Yesterday was much more relaxed, my parents came over to celebrate Mother’s Day. We grilled burgers and had ice cream with angel food cake, yum! We even played some doubles ping pong.

1 comment:

  1. About a pool: They are a lot of work, it's about an extra $50 on your electric bill, and an average of $75/month in chemicals and repair costs (can range from $300 one month to none the next few months.) Oh, and don't forget the actual labor - roughly 2-3 hours every other weekend on average during the summer. If I'd know that, we'd have gone for just a hot tub instead of a full blown pool.

    It's better to buy a house that already has one, you will never get your money back out of putting a pool in.

    I love house hunting, I love going into other people's house and seeing how they decorate - but I hate moving.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete