I think our drought is over, at least for a while. We've gotten at least seven inches of rain in the past two days - 2 on Friday, and 5 on Saturday. We needed the rain so I was glad to see it, but wish that it would be spread out over several days or weeks rather than all at once.
Unfortunately I had to drive in it quite a bit.
I had a meeting in Waco on Friday so I drove up Thursday and came back on Friday afternoon. For some reason each time I go to Waco there is bad weather coming back (based on only 2 trips), hopefully I'll break this streak. I want to see the Dr. Pepper Museum, but wanted to get out of town and ahead of the rain as much as I could more. I made good time the way there (~3 hours) but took nearly twice as long coming back since there was so much rain...from Bryan on I drove in rain, and once I hit 290 it was a deluge. My request to everyone else driving in rain: turn on your headlights! I am amazed at how many people drive along in rain without their headlights on. It will help other cars to see you and avoid possible accidents so just flip that switch and turn them on. I finally got home around 6 and we still had to go feed my sister's cat. I was glad to get into Kevin's SUV, being higher up is better for visibility and in case there is standing water.
Saturday I got to stay home most of the day, but did venture to the store so we could make our chicken tortilla soup (so good on a rainy day), and had to go to the airport to pick up my sister from her vacation. I was really surprised to see that her flight was listed as being early, because earlier I'd looked at the status online and saw that it was delayed nearly 2 hours. They got in and out of the San Jose airport quickly so that they could get in the air on time. Getting to the airport was an adventure - my usual route was underwater, so I had to call Kevin to figure out a different route (he is my weather and traffic man!), and after finally getting her and heading back out we saw there was high water at the feeder we were on and even in the SUV I didn't feel safe driving through it. I don't know if my alternative was any safer, but we turned on the hazard lights and went up the exit ramp to get onto the highway. I hated to do it and was nervous the whole time, but thought it was the only safe way to get on the road to head home.
Her neighborhood was clear, so she and i each got home safe and sound...and we stayed in the rest of the night.
We drove to Friendswood on Saturday afternoon...it was scary - but crawfish trumps scary in my book. I'm just glad that in our neighborhood we didn't have the kind of flooding I saw on the way over there.
ReplyDelete