For dinner we tried out a new recipe I'd gotten from Self magazine, and it was a success. I followed the recipe fairly closely and will add what we did differently. It had a good flavor. Next time I'll make it a little hotter, but its a success when its good enough that we eat it and even better when we actually WANT to have it again.
Five-Spice Shrimp
Classic Indian seasonings give this shrimp dish a fiery jolt.
Ingredients
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-inch piece ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 medium tomatoes, pureed -- we actually used a can of peeled tomatoes
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 1/2 cups cooked rice
- Coriander sprigs - we omitted, I didn't feel like buying at the store
Preparation
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Grind ginger and garlic into a paste; add it and remaining spices and tomatoes to pan; simmer 5 minutes. In a separate pan, sauté shrimp 30 seconds. Add sauce and stir continuously on high heat, 2 or 3 minutes, until most of the liquid evaporates. Serve over rice. Garnish with coriander.
After simmering the sauce, we blended it to make it a smoother consistency. Also, because we used more tomatoes ( a can instead of just 2) there was a lot more sauce then the recipe (and photo) indicated, but I like a lot of sauce, so it worked out.
I was really pleased with the smell of the dish and we plan to play with this combination of spices to try out some other Indian dishes.
I had ice on my car yesterday morning. It was like I was in some kind of twilight zone.
ReplyDeleteThe recipe sounds yummy.
Your recipe sounds yummy! I will have to try it. Daniel and I always call new recipes like that a keeper. While we are eating one of us will declare...okay, this one's a keeper. LOL.
ReplyDelete~Emily
We had to bring all our mobile plants inside the other night here in Dallas too and cover the ones that were in the ground. We have lots of new flowers we had put in the last couple of weeks because we thought the freezes were over. So much for that idea! It's doing a number on our peach tree too. Not too many of them look damaged though so hopefully we'll still have lots of yummy peaches. I may have to start looking for recipes that use peaches. We're going to have a lot of them!
ReplyDeleteI'm proud of you for getting your flower beds all done. That's such an achievement. We have to get some more plants for one last bed and then we'll be done too.
We were going to plant some things this past weekend, but it was forecasted to get close to freezing this week, so we didn't. Looks like this weekend should be nice, though.
ReplyDeleteOoh shrimp is wonderful in Indian seasonings. Next time, get the cilantro sprigs - taste a charm when fresh.
ReplyDeleteHey I re-did your Garlic Chicken Spinach Curry recipe, I dont know how keen Kevin is about it but Jonathan loved it. I added sweet potato cubed. I let it cook with the chicken and let it simmer in the coconut milk for about 15 minutes and then added the spinach it was awesome!
ReplyDelete