Saturday, April 19, 2014

Book club update - ashure recipe

Book club went really well!

They liked the book - it made for some very interesting conversations and we learned some history from it - and also liked the dessert, they were surprised I'd attempted it.  Preparing for the book club was like a little school project- have to find info on the author (and a picture), work on questions to prompt discussions and I also found a door prize (bought some packaged "Turkish delight" dessert).  It was fun, but boy I don't miss homework!

The dessert was a hit!  I actually ate on it the rest of the week (Kevin was not a fan) and still had a ton leftover.

There are many variations of the recipe online, and it seems to be pretty forgiving - - just substitute in/out what you fruits, nuts you like!

I basically followed this recipe (it sounded doable, and had some shortcuts over other recipes - uses canned beans).
Notes on where I did make changes:
  • I couldn't find currants so left them out
  • I added vanilla since I like it and the recipe in the book called for it
  • I used pistachios - again since the book called for it and if i have leftover nuts i prefer pistachios.
  • I brought toppings that I liked - ground cinnamon (just grabbed the bottle off our spice rack), chopped pistachios, dried figs and dried apricots, pine nuts (the last 3 were what was left from what i bought for the recipe).
I brought some of what I had left to work later in the week - I'd bounced some ideas of the gals there.   They tried it and most liked it, and one girl has a Turkish mother and I was pleased to hear that she thought it tasted like what she'd had before!   

No comments:

Post a Comment