Sunday, November 17, 2013

November


Hello!   We've been here I just haven't felt like posting.   We are still having adventures and enjoying the cooler weather.

Some highlights from the first half of the month:

We took advantage of the weather and gaining back the hour the first weekend of November and made our annual trip to the Renaissance Festival.   We had a wonderful day taking in the sights and tasting different food and drinks.  Our food discovery of the day was at the Polish food station - pierogies, we split a plate of 6 and half were potato cheese, the other half were meat - they also had sauerkraut and mushroom but we weren't brave enough for that.   The girl working the station who recommended them said people come back for them and I can see why!    They were delicious, and we planned to get more, just never got back to it. I will have to look for pierogies elsewhere so I don't have to wait another year for them.

The entire festival is outside and we spent the day soaking in the weather and enjoying being away from technology-  there are no tvs and terrible cell coverage (which is bad if you're trying to meet up with people).  

We even had an excuse to go shopping.  We picked out some items for our niece and nephew and were able to wear them all day and knowing they would make their day when we gave them to them, the best way to shop since otherwise I buy things and then wonder at the end of the day what will I do with it?    Nephew wanted a dragon for his wrist (red and black) and we also got him a small wooden sword, and niece got a princess crown with gauzy strips off the back - very much a princess.   I wore the dragon and crown (thank goodness its adjustable) and K carried the sword on his belt.

We gave them their gifts yesterday, niece is posing with her crown, but nephew wouldn't let me take his photo - though he loved the gifts, and gave each item name, Diablo for the dragon and Gladius for the sword - his idea to find a Latin word for sword, love his curiosity!

Yesterday afternoon we went to Michael's to get K's' diploma framed, and we saw some characters.   A guy who worked there (but didn't do any work that we could see) saw History on the diploma and talked K's ear off about also being into history, but then went on to talk about a move screenplay he's writing, a trilogy, about an undead character and set in the Old West, then WWI, and finally WWII.   I didn't know what to say.  We also saw a guy come in with a poster to be custom framed, and I was expecting something signed, homemade or unique -- nope, a Mona Lisa print...and he was serious about his choices......no idea why you'd frame that in your house....We had quite the stories to discuss afterwards.  You have to find the humor in your day, I'm sure we look crazy to others some days...

Over the past few weeks we've been watching a lot of movies & specials about the Kennedy assassination.   I've learned quite a bit about it and find it fascinating, and I know we'll watch more with the 50th anniversary being observed this week.  I'd recommend the "Parkland' movie (centers around the hospital where both Kennedy and Oswald were taken).  Until 9/11, I didn't have a moment where anyone I talked to could tell you where they were, but I know the Kennedy assassination was like that for our country - my mom can still tell you where she was.

I can't promise I'll be better at posting, though I will try to share  the funny moments.  I'm dubbing my Michael's experience "the people of...", after all those 'people of Wal Mart" photos people share.....  

No comments:

Post a Comment